Wouldn’t it be nice to have a surefire way to compare all headphones?
What if you could find the exact headphones you want in a matter of minutes?
It’s a nice idea, but it takes a lot of work and research to take a look at all the available possibilities.
There are hundreds of different pairs of headphones. And you can’t objectively compare features like comfort, durability, and sound quality. There’s no metric for comfort.
Nonetheless, you can compare features like battery life, design, driver size, prices, and so on.
If you read the rest of the guide, you’ll find tips on how to make the best headphone buying decision. So, you don’t end up with a dud.
Types and Features of Headphones
You need to know what types of headphones are available before buying.
Different Style Designs of Headphones
Over-ear headphones – this style covers the whole ear and is the oldest design. Also, called circumaural headphones, they’re big, bulky, but with great comfort and sound quality.
– are the smaller design that resembles over-ears but is more portable, and thus popular with travelers and DJs. They don’t totally cover the ear but rather “sit” next to it.
Wireless and Wired
Many over-ear headphones offer wireless and wired options, but generally you’ll have to choose between the two.
Wireless headphones – most often use Bluetooth, which is a widespread and reliable wireless technology. You get to be free from wires but need to charge the battery.
Wired headphones – don’t require battery charging, plus they’re often cheaper. But the cord gets in the way, and it takes away from convenience.
Almost all headphones have a closed-back design that offers better noise isolation and less sound leakage. It’s the standard and go-to back design for most people.
All headphones have some level of passive noise isolation and closed-back headphones are the best.
But there are a few open-back or semi-open headphones that let their drivers “breathe.” It improves the sound quality, especially soundstage. On the other hand, it leaks a lot of music and has zero noise isolation.
For these reasons, open headphones are best for audiophiles and home usage.
At the same time, most workout headphones have improved water resistance to defend against sweat and weather, like rain. You can compare the water protection with the IPX rating. IPX4 is considered sweatproof, IPX6 or more is waterproof.
Heart-rate monitor – some sports earbuds come with body tracking, which is useful for active people who want to measure their progress.
· First, narrow down the type and style of headphones you want. Check the first part of this guide for reference.
· Decide on how much you want to pay. It’s always a good idea to set a budget.
· Once you narrow down the exact type of headphones in your price range, you’ll probably end up with 3-4 best models.
· Pick based on your preference of brand, color, design, etc.
· audio quality
· design type
· your specific needs
· Commuting. If you need headphones while commuting on public transport, prioritize noise-cancelling or noise isolation and wireless technology to avoid annoying wires.
· Exercise. If you’re a runner, prioritize smaller, more portable in-ear headphones. Ensure they offer stability and are preferably wireless. You should also look for long battery life.
· Mixing/producing. If you are planning to mix or produce music, a flat frequency range is vital. You may wish to go for open-back studio headphones as these give a more natural soundstage. Comparing the frequency response will be critical in this scenario.
· Convenience. Casual daily use requires satisfaction in all situations. Get wireless headphones (possible true wireless) for a wire-free, portable solution that’s suitable for home use as well.
· Headphones under $50 are considered cheap
· Any around $100 are affordable
· From $150 to $300 are the most high-end headphones for avg. consumers
· Audiophile headphones can start as “low” as $300 and go up to $1000 or more
LiJian Technology is a professional OEM / ODM manufacturer for Bluetooth audio products.
• 16 years OEM/ODM experience
• Professional R&D team with 30 experienced engineers
• Quality assurance, defective rate less than 3 ‰ and a 13-month warranty
• One-stop service, from product design to delivery, the whole production is handled in our own factory
• Free to design the packing for customers
• Free to make the pictures for customers
• Free to do factory and products inspection in China
May this can help you.